Construction work at the golf course and park
Construction phases and scope
On October 26, our partners, the Mississippi Watershed Management Organization (MWMO), began construction on a project to improve stormwater management on the northern portion of Columbia Golf Course and Columbia Park.
Phase 1 of the “Northern Columbia Golf Course and Park Stormwater BMPs” project runs through February 2021. It includes: removal/abandonment of the old stormsewer in the northern half of the golf course and through Columbia Park; construction of the new stormsewer; tunneling under the Canadian Pacific Railway; earthwork; and mass grading.
Phase 2 will run from May through August 2021. It includes final grading; park and golf course restoration; and native seeding for permanent restoration.
Temporary Public Impacts
Project construction includes a range impacts that may affect the public:
- Construction vehicles on Columbia Parkway and Central Avenue
- Fifth street closure – reopening soon
- Columbia Park parking lot closure for duration of project (construction staging area)
- Trail on west side of golf course closed for the duration of the project
- Fifth Street detour for pedestrians and bicyclists detoured to west side of the street up to 35th Ave NE
- Once Fifth Street reopens, bicyclists can use Fifth Street and Columbia Parkway, full lane
- Columbia picnic shelter rental closed through July 2021
- Columbia Park multi-purpose athletic field closed through July 2021
- Columbia Golf Course – temporary reduction from 18 holes to 11 holes through August 2021
- Tot playground equipment replacement after project – community engagement in fall 2021, construction in spring 2022
- Impacts to trees – tree replacement included in restoration plan
About the Project
New storm sewer, stormwater best management practices (BMPs) and habitat restoration at Columbia Golf Course and Columbia Park will improve stormwater quality, mitigate flooding, improve ecological systems, and enhance golf play and other recreational opportunities in Northeast Minneapolis. The project is part of the Northeast Stormwater Management Initiative.
Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board (MPRB)
Mississippi Watershed Management Organization (MWMO)
City of Minneapolis
MPRB Project Contact
Design Project Manager, Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board
612.230.6466 / email@example.com