Minnesota Compass has prepared an in-depth profile of Columbia Park neighborhood, based on US census data, along with profiles for all other Minneapolis and St. Paul neighborhoods and surrounding cities. Download data files from the Minnesota Compass web site.
Columbia Park includes the 18-hole Columbia Golf Club (established in 1919) and the Columbia Manor (built in 1925 and overlooking the golf course and available for wedding receptions, family reunions, anniversary parties, etc.), driving range, picnic area, rugby pitch (used by Metropolis Rugby Football Club and others), winter sliding hill (some call it the city’s best), cross-country skiing, and running, biking and walking paths.
Archery range – south side of St. Anthony Parkway west of Central Avenue NE
Hi-View Park, 3474 2nd St. NE, includes a basketball court, picnic area, tot lot and playground. “Named for its high elevation and city skyline view, Hi-View Park was opened in 1952. Nearly four acres in size, the park was expanded slightly in 1961 when the recreation shelter was built. Other improvements to the park over the years include adding a wading pool in 1977 and new playground equipment in 1989.”
Shoreham Yards and historic roundhouse – Central Avenue NE at 29th Avenue NE
“Located on the southeastern corner of the Shoreham Yards, the Roundhouse was first constructed in 1887. Between 1887 and 1919, the semi-circular red brick building grew from 18 stalls to 46 stalls. Originally serving as the storage space for steam locomotives, the roundhouse was converted to a service station, lockers, and general storage after the conversion to diesel locomotives in the 1950s. The Roundhouse at Shoreham Yards acted as the central hub for the Minneapolis, Sault Ste. Marie & Atlantic Railroad company (referred to as the Soo Line). The Soo Line Company, under its first president William D. Washburn, started as a grain transportation system which contributed to much of the success of the milling industry in Minneapolis. The roundhouse was once the epicenter of the railroad repair yards and provided employment for people who lived in Northeast Minneapolis. Currently, the Soo Line Yard Site is vacant; however extensive pollution clean-up efforts are being conducted to prepare the site for future development.” – City of Minneapolis web page on Shoreham Yards
Historic bridge conducting St. Anthony Parkway over railroad yards
Gateway Gardens, at University Avenue Northeast and 37th Avenue Northeast. (See City of Minneapolis announcement (PDF) on garden expansion in 2010.)
Alley Cat Community Garden, begun in 2010, using Hennepin County-owned land at the fork in the alley between Architect Avenue and Van Buren Street, between Columbia Parkway and 37th Avenue Northeast.
Learning for Leadership Charter School, now in its sixth year.
Decorative stelae “The 4020” along Central Avenue NE at 33rd Avenue NE, depicting the history of the neighborhood and featuring numerous rail motifs, by Northeast sculptor Foster Willey Jr., with custom benches.” – See Start Seeing Art. See also Minnesota Sculptors.
St. Anthony Cemetery, 2730 Central Avenue NE, encompassing 13 acres and operated by the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis — begun in 1857 by St. Anthony’s Parish.
Northwest corner of Northeast Minneapolis, as depicted below in map showing Minneapolis parks and related facilities:
(The dotted line at bottom of map shows the last link in the Grand Rounds National Scenic Byway – see online map at Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board web site.)
Map of entire Northeast with Columbia Park – Ward 1 map (PDF).